For better or for worse, social media is impacting every single country in the world. Businesses of all sizes have capitalized on social media as platforms for targeted advertising and almost every brand is active on at least one channel.
As a startup, you know you should be using social media to reach your audience and interact with customers. But are you using the available platforms to their full potential? Here are 20 statistics to show you the power of social media for your brand in 2018.
General Social Media Statistics
1. Facebook ad spending is set to outpace print ad spending by 2019. (Emarketer)
2. 96% of social media users who talk about a brand online do not follow that brand. (Brandwatch)
3. 91% of social media users access their profiles via mobile apps and smartphones. (MarketingProfs)
4. In 2012, Internet users had an average of three social media accounts; now most users have an average of seven accounts. (GlobalWebIndex)
5. There are 2.56 billion social media users worldwide (34% penetration). One million new social users are added every day. (We Are Social)
6. The best days to post on Facebook are Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Thursdays and Fridays see 18% higher engagement than the rest of the week and weekends receive 32% higher engagement. (Hubspot)
7. Over 50 million businesses have a Business Facebook page to reach their audience. (Forbes)
9. 63% of Facebook and Twitter users use the platforms as a source for news and current events. (Hubspot)
10. There are over 33,000 chatbots active on Facebook Messenger, and many customers are not aware of when they are talking to a bot or a person. (PYMNTS)
11. Some brands get an Instagram engagement rate of up to 4.21%, which is 58 times higher than Facebook and 120 times higher than Twitter. (Hootsuite)
12. The best times to post on Instagram are Monday and Thursday, and any time other than between 3-4 pm. (Hubspot)
13. Instagram will bring in $6.84 billion in global mobile ad revenue in 2018 - a significant chunk of what Facebook brings in every year. (Hootsuite)
14. 90% of Instagram users are under 35 years old. (Science Daily)
15. Link clicks constitute 92% of user engagement with Twitter posts. (Hubspot)
16. Twitter has a serious problem with spam accounts. There are over 1.3 billion Twitter accounts, but only 328 million accounts are active. (Business Insider)
17. 81% of Millennial Twitter users access their account at least once a day. (Twitter Blog)
18. 46% of adult Internet users have a LinkedIn account, while only 9% of adults with only a high school diploma have LinkedIn. (Hubspot)
19. The best times to post on LinkedIn are during the morning and evening commute, as well as around lunchtime. (Hubspot)
20. The average LinkedIn user only logs into the platform for 17 minutes a month. (SproutSocial)
There is no doubt that social media is a powerful tool. Social ad spending is poised to beat traditional print ad spend by next year. If you haven’t started using social media to market your brand, these statistics will show you why 2018 is the right year to get started. If you want to learn how to market your brand on social media and engage meaningfully with your audience, contact us to get started.